Charmwood Risk Management supports Cardiff Metropolitan University with successfully completing Strategic Insight Programme (SIP).
The SIP entitled ‘Experiencing how Internal & External Auditing helps to design modern day Management Systems’. Commenced just as the world went into lockdown. However, utilising technology and both organisations tried and tested business continuity plans we were able to deliver this project remotely and within tight time constraints.
“Commercially, our vision as a business is to support youngsters who are looking to pursue a career in the infosec/auditing sector, as there is a significant shortfall of qualified auditors across the globe.” – Charmwood Risk Management
The SIP placement created a platform for Cardiff MET academic to experience and gain skills on internal and external auditing, implementation, support, evaluation of legal and regulatory compliance of management systems and special focus on how it would help to design better management systems. Furthermore, this enabled me to observe two external audits conducted by the Lloyds register https://www.lr.org/en-gb/ and URS https://www.urs-certification.co.uk at Super Rod Ltd http://www.super-rod.co.uk/home/ and Wireless Innovation Ltd https://www.wireless-innovation.co.uk/. respectively. During both of these audits, I witnessed how the audit process works and requirements met by the company and how important it is to conduct the internal audits in preparation for the external audit. This was one of the best professional experiences of my academic career.
With the Coronavirus pandemic in full swing, we discussed how companies can plan business continuity strategies by following best practice guidelines such as ISO 22301. There were clear evidences from the companies who follow best practice guidelines on Business continuity manage the impact of pandemic well compared to other organizations.
- The lead partner from Cardiff Metropolitan University who has been upskilled in latest ISO standards and its auditing practices.
- Enabled the Cardiff MET Academic partner to experience real ISO audits conducted by external certification bodies accredited by UKAS.
- Learned and experienced the processes involved in leading up to an external audit at an organization.
- A greater understanding of the interrelationship of Standards such as PCI DSS, IASME, Cobit & ISO 27001 link together and add value to organisations
- A greater understanding of performing compliance gap analysis for business mergers
- Initial discussions have been held to train Cardiff MET students on internal and external auditing of ISO standards via Charmwoods training partner, SGS.
- Charmwoods involvement with CST through the Industry liaison committee will be further strengthened in the future.